Thursday, May 04, 2006

Why quality measures don't work in primary care

I've written in my PAFP Keystone Family Physician column about my dissatisfaction with pay for performance measures in primary care. Now Barbara Starfield weighs in. I couldn't agree with her more.

This isn't the first time I've been impressed with her work this week. She presented a plenary at last weeks society of teachers of family medicine meeting that introduced me to the world health chart website and application.

The world health chart is amazing, but clearly in its infancy with regard to the integration of graphic display of quantitative information as it relates to public health. I'm anxious to see local versions of google-map mashups with useful information like the availability of medical assistance dermatology appointments in the Philadelphia area. Alternate mash-ups: physician by appointment availibility, physician by blog, physician by contribution to neighborhood economy, physician by contribution to community health measured by primary care characteristics - availability, comprehensiveness, coordination of care

Anyone up to the task?

No comments:

Post a Comment